Jack Sparnon Powell was born in Des Moines, Iowa in 1934. He was raised in the Chicago suburb of Bellwood. Jack attended the Art Institute of Chicago where he graduated from in 1960.
Powell participated in the follow one man and group shows:
- 1960-66 St. Paul Art Center, St. Paul, Minnesota. Group shows that traveled throughout the United States.
- 1967 Awarded the Pauline Palmer Prize from the Art Institute of Chicago.
- 1971-75 Feigen Gallery, New York participated in a number of group shows.
- 1977 Foot, Cone & Belding Advertising Agency, New York, New York – One man show.
- 1985 Beresford Gallery, Saratoga, New York – One man show.
- It was in 1985 that Jack relocated from New York to Arizona, where he currently resides.
- 1986 J.H. Armer Gallery – One man show.
- 1995-97 Adelante Gallery, Scottsdale, Arizona
- 2002 & 2008 Sky Harbor International Airport, Phoenix, Arizona “Wild About Animals” exhibit
- 2012 Sky Harbor International Airport, Phoenix, Arizona - Arizona 100 years show
Jack Powell has shown exclusively worldwide at Buffalo Collection in Scottsdale, Arizona since 2012.