Wonderfully soft and flexible, yet strong and durable for several lifetimes over.
Paradoxical? The answer is in the very physiology of American Buffalo hide. With an epidermal protective layer up to three times thicker than cow hide and as much as an inch of widely-spaced sub-dermal collagen fibers, buffalo leather provides unsurpassed strength and flexibility. Available in a wide range of colors and finishes ranging from smooth, lightly pebbled tans to distressed earth tones, as well as exotic heavily grained hides.
Buffalo leather differs from cowhide in thickness and flexibility which translates into exceptionally durable and comfortable upholstered furniture. Buffalo leather “grain” is more pronounced. The fibers are thicker and more widely-spaced.
- We utilize a wet white method of tanning our hides. The American Buffalo hides we use are by-products from the growing buffalo meat business. We began using hides from the Scenic Mesa Ranch meat business, but outgrew that supply and are now buying directly from the ranchers.
- Our leather is tanned “naked”, which means that it is quite natural and has a great feel to your hand. The tanning process we use purposefully does not include stain-resistance or waterproofing because these additives destroy the “hand” of natural leather, making it stiffer and leaving it feeling plasticized.
- Hides vary with the individual animal, the time of year the hide was taken, the animal’s age, gender, and maturity. Scars and brands are part of the “story” of your piece. The spine line over the hump of the animal is distinctive. Most buffalo hides come from 2-3 year old animals processed for meat, so they are small and average 30 square feet of leather.
- Buffalo leather is a natural material that breathes, a lot like our skin, and absorbs and releases moisture. This gives it excellent temperature adaptation, as it adjusts to our body temperature, making it comfortable during the heat of the Summer and the cool of the Winter. Buffalo leather products conform to your body but will not stretch out of shape. As man-made materials are wearing out, leather becomes more supple and comfortable throughout the years.
The durability of buffalo leather is legendary. It is one of the strongest upholstery materials known to man. Its strength and elasticity give it high resistance to ripping. It is flame resistant and will not readily burn or melt. The buffalo's thick epidermal protective layer is 2½ to 3 times thicker than cow hide and as much as an inch of widely-spaced subdermal collagen fibers provide the strength and flexibility unique to this leather.
- Buffalo leather is easy to clean and has a smooth finish and strong fibers that prevent any penetration of dust, lint, or animal hair, making it an ideal choice for those with allergenic conditions. Cleaning with a soapy cloth directly after a spill is best. We can recommend leather cleaners and conditioners. Buffalo leather responds beautifully to annual conditioning. It develops a rich patina over time that makes it your own “antique”.